Monday, October 03, 2005

Back on His Game

President Bush has seemed a little off his game since returning from his August vacation. Promising to do whatever it takes and to spend whatever it takes to rebuild New Orleans was the response of someone wanting to bypass a controversy and get back to more important long term matters. While New Orleans is not a long term National problem, the precedent that was set by President Bush when he promised to rebuild New Orleans will create a long term national problem. The funding of the Federal government will forever be more expensive and more difficult to control as a result of the promise to rebuild New Orleans with Federal dollars.

The nomination of Harriet Miers to replace Sandra Day O’Connor on the Supreme Court has left many in the conservative movement more than a little depressed today. While I know practically nothing about Harriet Miers, I think I know enough of President Bush to know he did not appoint Ms. Miers primarily as some type of compromise with the Democrats. Perhaps, he appointed her in order to avoid an ugly fight with the Democrats. However, he appointed her primarily because he has known her long enough to know she will uphold his campaign promise to appoint Justices who will interpret the law, not make the law.

I don’t always agree with President Bush, but I do respect him as a man and as a President. He is a man of his word, which always carries the most weight with me. I am comforted to know that President Bush has known Ms. Miers for over 10 years. I think it is preferable for our President to appoint someone he is sure about than it is for him to appoint someone who may look better on paper, but still come with too much uncertainty.

Liberals and conservatives can keep blowing gaskets over the fight they wanted that it doesn’t look like they are going to get. I’m happy my President is back on his game.

No comments: